I am on

Pages

2018/12/31

Keeping Traditions


When I'm lonesome for home, I summon every culinary skill I have to make myself feel better.
New Year is not celebrated abundantly in U.S as it is in Philippines. Growing up, I remember, the cooking frenzy starts in the morning in preparation for New Year's eve dinner at midnight. Everybody must be awake (or wake up to eat dinner). 

During my first time in U.S, it came to me as a shock when there wasn't a feast on New Year's day.

The closest reason I can remember why we throw a feast on New year, was the common belief that the whole year will be determined on how we welcome the first day of the year, so we filled our tables with all kinds of food big and small. 

We followed superstitions that believed to help achieve a prosperous life! In the course of my life, I stopped believing these silly superstitions but there are some things I want to keep. 
Suman or sweet sticky riced cooked in banana leaves. Click here for Suman Recipe
I held on to those sweet memories that there was someone who cared enough to prepare a feast for the family to share.

I would always remember our nextdoor neighbor Aling Berta who always shared her fresh cooked "Suman" and handed a plate through our window. They were deprived in abundance of food, yet, she still shared what they had happily.


Halaya is one of my happy memory. I learned from watching my mom. She had stirred that thick sticky "yam"-mmy goodness until her arms fell off (metaphorically speaking). I knew something good was coming after all that hard work.

Halaya or purple yam pudding. Recipe for Halaya


How we celebrate New Year will vary depending on traditions. I personally do not believe prosperity comes from observed superstition. But there are some things I want to keep not because of old belief, but mainly to keep as special memories. 

We always find a reason to celebrate a certain thing in a certain way. The feast on our table is our way of celebrating our gratefulness for what we were given to survive the whole year and for what we look forward to for the coming New year. 

For us, to be with the family is reason enough to celebrate the coming year and we celebrate it around the table.

How do you celebrate yours?
Happy New Year!

-Myric

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your sweet comment brightens my day