I am on

Pages

2012/10/14

Pumpkin in Coconut Milk

I think I've had enough fall inspired sweets for now. My taste buds were craving for something savory, something Asian but with a little bit touch of Fall inspiration.


I still am not sure how to classify or translate "Kalabasa", but I have seen different kinds of pumpkins, squash and gourd and I have to say that kalabasa is the closest to pumpkin species. I guess I will have to stick to the word Mexican pumpkin like the label said at the store.

This is one of my favorite Filipino dish. It's called "Ginataang Kalabasa" or

Pumpkin in Coconut milk

*Half of a small Mexican pumpkin (or however you call it) cut into cubes. I bought mine at the Asian store

*12-15 pcs of Yard long beans (Chinese long beans or however you want to call it) cut into 2 inches.  Also can be bought at the Asian store.

* I can of coconut milk

* 2 tbsp cooking oil

* 1/4 kg  pork cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes. 

* 3 cloves of garlic minced.

* 4 tbsp of red onions thinly sliced

* Salt and pepper to taste

* 2 tbsp Fish sauce (optional if grossed out)

* Fresh Cayenne pepper (optional)



Drizzle the wok with cooking oil in medium heat. Fry the pork until golden brown


Add the onions. Next, add the garlic. Cook until the onions turned translucent.


Add the pumpkin. Sautee or mix for a minute or two, then add the long beans and stir more.


For the meat, I actually de-boned the ribs and boiled the bones with remaining meat it. I around half a cup of the broth and poured it on the vegetables to add more meat flavor. Cover and let it simmer for a a minute or two.



Then add the coconut milk. Simmer in low heat until the pumpkin is cooked. Be sure not to over cook it or you'll end up with a mashed veggie. You don't want that.

Add fresh cayenne pepper and fish sauce but both optional. The fish sauce will be barely noticeable and unlike shrimp paste would. My husband hates fish sauce but he didn't mind it mixed with the food.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over steamed rice and enjoy!



Do you have a pumpkin ideas to share? Would love for you to tell me about it or link up at Passion Parade Link Party  and a giveaway
still happening today! If you are too late, well, there's always next time :)

BLOG TITLE


3 comments:

  1. Those are two of my favorite flavors! I need to try them together! Yum! New follower from the link party! Would love for you to visit me and join my site as well!

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this looks YUMMO. The weather is going to be rainy here next week... I will have to gather the ingredients and celebrate the rain with Pumpkin in Coconut Milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this recipe on Fabulous Friday Myric. It look so delicious & your picture is so pretty too {no easy!}.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Your sweet comment brightens my day